Kindergarten and New Families
We are so excited to welcome you to Radnor!
It can be tough to foresee the challenges moving your family may have on your life, particularly when you have been living in the same community and attending the same school district for a long period. For families changing school and community, it means leaving friends, a comfort zone, finding a place into new social and school structures - at times, with different standards and opportunities.
Children entering a new school, transferring to a new school mid-year, moving into a new country and learning new cultures will be confronted with various challenges during their transition and might have to bear significant strains. The goal of our RES PTO New Families Welcoming Committee is to help you and your child(ren) immediately feel part of our community. We want to offer you a vast source of information and support, and we always want to hear from you. Email us at email@example.com to let us know how we can help make this the best school year ever. Welcome to RES!
New Student Registration
Radnor Township School District offers a remote registration process for students entering the district. To register, parents/guardians must complete registration online for each student joining the District and submit the required documents.
- Contact Information
- Daily Schedule and Attendance
- Closures and Remote Instruction
- Transportation and Dismissal
- Getting Ready for School
- Health Services
- Staying Connected
- Local Community
Radnor Elementary School (RES) Administration:
- Principal: Dr. Nancy Young
- Assistant Principal: John Wagner
- School Counselor: Sarah Casey
- Secretaries: Susan McCaffery | Rita Lodato
- Main Office: 610-788-9300
Radnor Township School District (RTSD)
For all information regarding the school district e.g. Transportation, Administration, Community etc., please refer to RTSD website
RTSD Central Office Administration
135 S. Wayne Ave, Wayne, PA 19087
Administration Staff Directory
Visiting School Premises
All visitors to RES must ring the front doorbell and be buzzed in to register at the front desk. Please have your driver’s license or photo ID ready to generate your visitor badge.
RES Daily Schedule
8:45 a.m. Student Drop-Off Begins
9:05 a.m. School Day Begins
3:35 p.m. Car Pick-Up Dismissal
3:40 p.m. Bus Dismissal, Clubs
For additional information on Arrival and Dismissal Procedures, review the Elementary School Handbook
Going to be Late? (After 9:05 am)
Call the Safe Arrival Line: 610-788-2370. After 9:05 am, you must walk-in with your child and sign the excuse forms. For more information, see Tardiness on the district's attendance information.
Absence Due to Illness
It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to the call the Safe Arrival Line before 9:00am to report a child’s absence. Please also notify Before & After Care of absences, if applicable.
A written explanation for a child's absence is required by the School Code of Pennsylvania and must be submitted to the school within 3 days of the student’s return to school. Parents are encouraged to use the official yellow RTSD official Absence Excuse Card. Hard copies of these excuse cards are given to families at the beginning of the school year in the First Day Packet. They may also be obtained from the school office and downloaded from the RTSD website.
RTSD also accepts electronic excuse notes for student absences. Each time a student is absent an automated email will be sent to the email on file with the District. To submit an electronic excuse note, parents/guardians need only reply to the automated email with their child’s first and last name, the date of the absence, the reason, and the parent/guardian’s first and last name.
For more information, see Absence on the district's attendance information.
Absence for Family Trips/Educational Tours
In order for your child to be excused from school attendance, you must complete an Educational Request Form. This must be submitted to the principal a minimum of 10 school days prior to the trip (unless an emergency).
Find more information on Absences for Family Trips/Educational Tours (and download the request form).
COVID-19 Policies and Procedures
Refer to the RTSD Covid-19 Mitigation webpage for current information on policies and procedures to Covid-19 and attendance.
School Closing Information (including snow days and remote instructional days)
For all information regarding school closures, delays, snow information etc. please refer to the Closures and Remote Instructional Days webpage
In the event of a two-hour delayed opening, school/bus pick-up will begin two hours later than the normal starting time. Lunches will be served.
Students are assigned a bus at the beginning of the school year or upon enrollment if during the school year. Information will be sent at the end of August with the bus numbers and stop locations. For any issues, please call the RTSD Transportation Department: 610.293.1947 or refer to the Transportation Department webpage
‘Car-riders’ - Car drop off and pick up
For students not using the bus, drop off takes place in the car loop by the gym entrance, between 8:45am and 9:00am. A pick up car loop is also in operation in the afternoon. Car-rider students are dismissed at 3:40pm. Please review the car line procedures and contact the school office with questions.
‘Walkers’ - Walking your child to school
In the morning the 2nd to 5th Grade students will join their class to line up at the playground. K and 1st grade students will line up at the front of the school main entrance. In the afternoon, your child will be dismissed to the school office where you can collect them in the office to walk home.
Change in pick up plans for your child
All dismissal changes require parental notification. Send a yellow "note to school” (see below) in with your child on the day if you know in advance otherwise call the school office at 610-788-9300. Please notify After Care for changes in plans too.
"A Note to School" pads
These are a 50-page pad of yellow flyers to inform teachers of changes with your child regarding dismissal, leaving early, being picked up by someone else other than a parent/guardian or needing to speak with a teacher. You will receive one pad on entry to the school; more can be purchased at Open Houses and from the PTO.
Your Child’s Teacher and School Supplies
Families are notified by mail at the end of August of their child’s teacher assignment and via email through HAC (Home Access Center). You can contact your child’s teacher by email. Staff are listed alphabetically on the Staff Directory on the RES website.
The RTSD website will provide general supply lists by school and grade level, and your child’s teacher may request some additional supplies.
School Lunches, Snacks and Water
RES offers breakfast and lunch options for students to purchase, or students may pack a lunch. Weekly menus are posted online. Digital pre-paid accounts for purchasing meals are created for each students, and parents/guardians are encouraged to register with EZSchoolPay to fund these accounts. See the Food Services page
Families who may be eligible for meals at a free or reduced cost are encouraged to complete the Free and Reduced Meals application on the Food Services page. In addition to the free\reduced meal pricing approval entitles students to other opportunities, including fee waivers and discounted home internet.
Water fountains are found at regular points around the school site. Your child’s teacher will provide guidance on suitable snacks for consumption at recess/in the classroom, to ensure children with allergies are kept safe.
Emergency Medical Card
An Emergency Medical Card for each student is required yearly and kept on file with their health details. This is sent home in the First Day Packet for completion.
The RTSD official Absence Excuse Card must be completed following your child’s absence from school due to illness or a medical issue. They may be obtained from the school office or downloaded from the RTSD website Cards should be submitted within 3 days of your child's return to school.
For all information regarding required Physical and Dental Exams, Immunizations, when to keep you child at home, Emergency Cards etc., please visit the RTSD Health Services webpage
If you would like to talk to the RES certified school nurse/s, please call 610-788-2363. They will be happy to discuss specific health concerns and are accustomed to working with children with allergies, diabetes and other ongoing health challenges. The RES Health Office (nurses’ station) is located next to the main school office.
RES Before and After School Care
It offers childcare for students in kindergarten through fifth grades before and after the school day. Transportation is the responsibility of parents. The extended day program opens at 7:30 a.m. and extends to 6:00 p.m. after the close of the regular school day. Fees are charged for this childcare program, which includes both part-time and full-time arrangements to meet the needs of the families served. Visit the Right At School website for details, fee information, and enrollment forms.
Resources to Keep Parents Connected
Please register with the following to ensure you stay informed with school, PTO and district news. Please register even if you enroll later in the year.
Membership Toolkit – Online Student Directory
We encourage all families to be part of the PTO communication app, Membership Toolkit. This system is used for PTO emails, an online student directory, and classroom communications. Please register as a new family or update your existing details. Visit the Membership Toolkit FAQs for details on how to enroll.
RES PTO Website
Check the PTO webpage regularly for Recent Announcements, PTO upcoming events, district events etc. Find out about Club registration, Committees and groups you can join, Radnor Spirit Gear, RES merchandise, Fundraising and Donating.
RES Facebook and Instagram pages
RES Express Newsletter
The RES Express is emailed 1-2 times a month and filled with all of our RES PTO news, information on upcoming events, and district happenings. Families that are registered in Membership Toolkit (see info above) are automatically enrolled in the RES Express subscription.
The Radnor Reader - The RTSD weekly E-Newsletter -Sundays
Subscribe for free to the Radnor Reader. The Radnor Reader will keep you informed about events, news and other happenings going on within RES and the other RTSD schools. There is a Radnor Reader Archive list on the RTSD website under Popular Links should you want to refer back to past communications.
The PTO formally meets 4 times a year to discuss the PTO, our school, district news and business. We aim for 1-hour meeting and all RES parents are encouraged to attend. Your feedback is vital to the growth and success of our PTO.
School Spirit Wear
Students join in a school-wide spirit-day celebrations throughout the year. Follow the channels noted above for updates on when students are encouraged to wear RES spirit wear clothing (e.g. t-shirts, hoodies, etc.) or other special outfits. Radnor Elementary spirit gear can be purchased through Silver Linings. The store also offers a wide range of Radnor items, outerwear, bags, novelty items etc.
Make sure you keep your schedule up to date using the online calendars below.
Families can also add these calendars to your smartphones and digital calendars using iCal feeds, to ensure you never miss an important event:
- RTSD Instructional Calendar - district holidays, teacher in-service days, etc.
- Standard iCal URL: https://www.rtsd.org/calendar/calendar_432.ics
- Google iCal URL: https://www.rtsd.org/calendar/calendar_432_gmt.ics
- RES Calendar - RES school and PTO events
- Standard iCal URL: https://www.rtsd.org/calendar/calendar_354.ics
- Google iCal URL: https://www.rtsd.org/calendar/calendar_354_gmt.ics
Learn more about adding iCal feeds to Google Calendar, iOS, Outlook, and more.
RES PTO Annual Events
RES PTO strives to create a community not just for the children, but also for families as well. The PTO is involved in hosting and supporting a wide range of events throughout the year, we offer many events that include everyone. These broadly feed into 4 categories: Family Fun Nights, Fundraisers, Parent socials and School Led Events. Please note that all events are subject to change.
More details on upcoming events can be found on the PTO webpage
- August/September: Kindergarten Playdates & bus orientation
- September: Open Houses
- September: New Parent (grade 1 to 5) Parent Social
- September: Back to School Picnic
- October: Halloween Parade and class parties
- October: Trunk or Treat
- October: 4th Grade Circus Week
- November: Book Fair
- November: Whole School Cultural Arts Assembly
- November: American Education Week Parent Visitation Day
- December: 3rd Grade rocks & minerals assembly
- January: RTSD MLK Day of Service
- January: RTSD International Week and RES Potluck Dinner
- February: Family Fun Bingo Night
- February: Read Across America Day & Dr. Suess’ birthday celebration
- February: Class Valentines Parties
- March: 5th Grade Spring Musical
- March: Art Goes to School Radnor Chapter delivers sessions at grade level
- March: Science Joe visits grades 1, 2 & 4
- March: Science Fair
- April: Mother Goose Assembly for Kindergarten
- April: Betsy Ross Assembly for 1st grade
- April: Someone Special Game Night
- May: Field Day
- May: Talent Show
- May: 5K or 1 mile SMART Run
- May: Camp Canadensis for 5th Grade
- May: Walk to Wayne for 3rd Grade
- June: PTO End-of Year celebration
The RES PTO is committed to ensuring no students are left out of an event or activity due to financial need. Please contact the RES School Counselor to confidentially discuss or request financial support.
Note: This section of the Welcome Packet provides just some of the many options available in our community for activities outside of school. The RES PTO is not promoting or suggesting that any of the providers are preferred.
Know an organization we should add to the list? Let us know.
Radnor Wayne Little League (Baseball & Softball)
Radnor Aquatic Club (Swimming & Diving)
For all things Radnor visit www.radnor.com
- August: Unity in our Community, Wayne
- September: Wayne Business Association Fall Festival, Wayne, PA
- October: Fall Harvest and Great Pumpkin Patch, The Willows
- November: Radnor vs. Lower Merion high school football game, Encke Field (RHS)
- December: Christmas Tree lighting on N. Wayne Avenue, Wayne, PA
- May: Memorial Day Parade, Wayne, PA
- June: A Taste of Wayne: Street fair with vendors and restaurants. Wayne, PA
- June/July: Free concerts in parks throughout Radnor. Check the Radnor Parks and Rec webpage for the schedule.
- July: 4th of July parade in Garrett Hill
The Radnor Township Park System includes 25 parks, containing both active recreational amenities, such as playgrounds and athletic fields, and passive recreational features, like scenic views and natural landscapes. The Radnor Park System offers a number of activities such as painting, walking, hiking, roller/in-line skating, picnicking, kite flying, sledding, reading, and playing tennis or basketball are encouraged at the residents' leisure.
Please visit the Radnor Parks and Recreation webpage for the list of parks, amenities and their locations.
The center of Wayne houses great little stores to shop if you are looking to shop without the hassle of going to the Mall. From clothing stores, toy stores, sporting goods stores, salons, spas, restaurants, etc. Everything you will need, you can find here and along the Lancaster Avenue. In addition, Suburban Square (outdoors) and the vast King of Prussia (KOP) Mall have endless shops for everything your heart desires and essentials you need. If you are looking for discounted goods try the Outlets. See our list below of shops/local branches to get you started:
- Center of Wayne / Wayne Business District Cross Sections of Lancaster Avenue & Wayne Avenue http://www.waynebusiness.com/
- Suburban Square, 6 Coulter Avenue, Ardmore, PA
- King of Prussia Mall, 160 N Gulph Road, King of Prussia, PA
- Philadelphia Premium Outlets, 18 West Lightcap Rd, Pottstown, PA
- Target, 160 W Dekalb Pike, King of Prussia, PA and 704 W Lancaster Ave, Wayne, PA
- Walmart, 275 N Gulph Road, King of Prussia, PA
- FiveBelow, Gateway Shopping Center, 147 E Swedesford Rd, Wayne, PA and 309 Lancaster Avenue, Wayne, PA
- Staples, Gateway Shopping Center, 145 E Swedesford Rd, Wayne, PA or 755 Lancaster Ave, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
- HomeGoods, 550 E. Lancaster Ave, Saint Davids Square Shopping Center, St. Davids, PA
- Home Depot, 181 S Gulph Road, King Of Prussia, PA
- Bed Bath and Beyond, 224 W Dekalb Pike, King of Prussia, PA
- IKEA, 400 Alan Wood Rd, Conshohocken, PA
- Giant (Grocery Store), 550 E Lancaster Avenue, St Davids, PA
- Whole Foods Market (Organic Food store), 821 Lancaster Avenue, Wayne, PA
- Wegman’s (Grocery Store), 1 Village Drive, KOP, PA
- Acme (Grocery Store), 700 W Lancaster Avenue, Wayne, PA
- Trader Joe’s, 171 E Swedesford Rd, Gateway Shopping Center, Wayne, PA
- Moms Organic Market, 1149 Lancaster Ave, Bryn Mawr, PA
- Lancaster County Farmers Market, 389 Lancaster Avenue, Wayne PA
- CVS Pharmacy, 316 East Lancaster Avenue, Wayne, PA or 1218 Lancaster Ave, Rosemont, PA 19010
- Rite Aid Pharmacy, 237 Lancaster Ave, Wayne, PA or 644 West Lancaster Ave., Wayne, PA
- USPS Post Office, 104 S Wayne Ave, Wayne, PA
- UPS Store, 303 W Lancaster Ave, Wayne
We can always help you further - just ask!
How can I find a dentist or pediatrician, babysitter or childcare for my child/children? I have further questions about the greater Philadelphia area, Radnor Sports, summer camps, where to purchase items I need etc., is there anyone who can help me?
For specific questions regarding medical providers or community information, please feel free to contact one of our Welcoming Committee members. We are happy to field your specific questions and provide you with helpful information. GOOD LUCK!